Brought to you by – DR CHONG YEANG CHERN
Have you received a promotion and pay rise recently? Have you lost your family member, friend or pet? All of us have our good days and bad days. Small mood swings are common and part and parcel of our lives. Mood swing is a noticeable change in one’s mood or emotional state. If the mood swing is extreme and severe, it can interfere with a person’s life.
Mood swings can be due to psychiatric or non psychiatric causes.
1) Life events – During different phases in our lives such as puberty, pregnancy and menopause, there are hormonal changes and stressors. This can contribute to mood changes. Other forms of life events which can be stressful include relationship problems, marriage, divorce, loss of loved one, financial problems and career changes.
2) Premenstrual syndrome – This is common among ladies in the reproductive age group. It comprises of a multitude of emotional symptoms such as mood swings,
crying spells, irritability, fatigue, poor concentration, food cravings and physical symptoms such as headache, bloatedness, breast tenderness and acne. This may be caused by cyclical changes in hormones and chemical changes in the brain.
3) Medications – Some medicines may cause mood changes for example steroids, anticonvulsants, antidepressants, thyroid medications, hormone replacement therapy.
4) Alcohol – Alcohol is a powerful ‘drug’ that has impact on one’s mood and feelings.
5) Brain Problems – Stroke, brain tumour, dementia and head injury can lead to personality changes and intense mood swings.
6) Thyroid Disease – Hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid gland with excess thyroid hormones) can lead to anxiety and irritability. Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid gland with insufficient thyroid hormones) can lead to fatigue and depression.
7) Chronic medical illnesses – Chronic medical problems can affect a person’s lifestyle, independence, mobility and the person’s self esteem and self perception. Rate of depression associated with chronic diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, Parkinson’s and cancer is substantial.
1) Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
2) Bipolar Disorder
4) Personality Disorder